Suruhanjaya Syarikat Malaysia or SSM came into operation on 16 April 2002, as a result of a merger between the Registrar of Companies (ROC) and the Registrar of Businesses (ROB) in Malaysia.
The main activity of SSM is an agency to incorporate companies and register businesses.
SSM is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the following legislation:
* Companies Act 1965 (Act 125);
* Registration of Businesses Act 1956 (Act 197);
* Trust Companies Act 1949 (Act 100);
* Kootu Funds (Prohibition) Act 1971 (Act 28);
* any subsidiary legislation made under the Acts specified above such as:
– Companies Regulations 1966; and
– Registration of Businesses Rules 1957